We know how hard it can be to stay away from sweets after the holidays, especially if your New Year’s resolution is to limit your sugar intake but life's no fun without some something sweet so we present to you: Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Dates (so basically a healthy version of a snickers bar). This seriously might be the easiest recipe we’ve shared to date (no pun intended;)). All you need are five ingredients that you can find in any supermarket and you’re good to go!
Gluten-Free, Vegetarian, Refined-Sugar-Free
Total Cook Time: 15 minutes+ 30 minutes in the fridge
- 7 dates (we recommend you use Medjoul dates)
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 100 grams dark chocolate. If you want to make this recipe vegan and lactose free too, you can use vegan dark chocolate instead!
- 5 walnuts (sliced to fit into the dates)
- Sea salt and ground pistachio
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside for later
- Start by removing the pits from your dates. Just cut a line lengthwise through your date and pick out the seeds.
- Fill each date with a generous amount of peanut butter (because the more peanut butter the better).
- Add a few pieces of the walnuts too and press to close.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 for all the dates.
- Melt the chocolate over a bain-marie. If you can’t wait for the end result, at this stage you can alway dip your finger in the chocolate and have a little taste test!
- Almost done! Dip your peanut butter filled dates in the chocolate with the help of a spoon and place on the baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the chocolate covered dates with your ground pistachio or sea salt.
- Place in the fridge for 30 minutes or until the chocolate has completely hardened.
And that’s it! The healthy version of your favorite childhood chocolate bar is ready to eat. Butttt, don't forget to snap a picture because if you don't take a picture, did you even make it??
These healthy snickers also make a perfect gift for your friends or family, just put them in a clear bag or box with a cute ribbon and you’re good to go! With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, these healthy Snicker bars are also a great gift for your significant other. Add the placemat and plate too if you want to make it a full pack!
We love to see how you recreate our recipes (you can always add other toppings to this recipe!) so once you take your picture make sure to tag us with #cookingwithgab to be featured! Let us know in the comments what toppings you’ll be using for these chocolate covered dates.