You’ve probably seen countless keto rice recipes with cauliflower rice but this time we’re here to introduce you to a new revolutionary ingredient: Konjak Rice! Not only is it the perfect low-carb alternative for the holiday season but also has countless health benefits especially for those who suffer from diabetes. Konjak comes from a root vegetable and has been in Japan and China for over 1000 years. It “could lower the quantities of serum cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol and triglyceride and may also be involved in the regulation of low blood sugar in Type 2 diabetes” (Sudhanshu S. Behera & Ramesh C. Ray 2016). Long story short, it is an alternative that is high in fiber and vitamins for all of you that are looking for a low-carb alternative to rice.
Are mushrooms not really your thing? Don’t worry! The mushroom can be switched up for any vegetable of your choice so feel free to get creative and use up all the vegetables you have sitting in your fridge!
Gluten-Free, Keto, Vegetarian
Total Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon grated garlic
- 1/2 onion (diced)
- 225 grams of seasonal mushrooms (cut into thin slices)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon of white wine
- 1.5 tablespoons of tamari
- 1/2 tablespoon of Chinese 5 Spice
- 225 grams of Konjac rice
- 1 egg
- ½ tablespoon white sesame seeds
- ½ tablespoon black sesame seeds
- ½ tablespoon chives (diced)
watch the full recipe video here!
- Sauté the ginger and garlic in a skillet over medium heat for 30 seconds
- Add the onion and salt and cook for 10 minutes, mixing frequently
- Add the mushrooms along with the white wine and tamari and cook for another 4 minutes
- Add the spices and rice and cook for 3 minutes
- Create a whole in your pad by moving the other ingredients to the side
- Break the egg in the middle of the pan, stirring constantly until the egg is cooked
- Mix everything and serve it up in your plate
- Decorate your rice with the sesame and chopped chives
VOILÀ!! Quick and easy lunch or dinner ready in 30 minutes! If you’re already planning to make this recipe for dinner?! Make sure to tag us with #cookingwithgab to be featured on our Instagram!
If you’re looking for more keto recipes to balance out all the holiday food you’ll be eating, remember that you can make all the Donburri bowls on our Madrid menu keto by ordering it with cauliflower rice. It doesn’t end there!! We have plenty of other keto options that you can pick from too!
Sudhanshu S. Behera & Ramesh C. Ray (2016): Nutritional and Potential Health Benefits of Konjac Glucomannan, a Promising Polysaccharide of Elephant Foot Yam, Amorphophallus konjac K. Koch: Review, Food Reviews International.